Meaningful Use Final Rules Released
October 7, 2015
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) have released final rules for Meaningful Use Stage 3 and modifications to Meaningful Use in 2015-2017.
CMS released the 2015 final rule with comment period for the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Records Incentive Programs.
ONC released the final rule for 2015 Edition Health IT Certification Criteria.
Major provisions for Meaningful Use Stage 2 program for 2015-2017 include:
- 9 objectives for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals, including one public health reporting objective
- 10 objectives for eligible professionals, including one public health reporting objective
- Clinical Quality Measures reporting remains as previously finalized
Major provisions for Meaningful Use Stage 3 program for 2017 and subsequent years include:
- 8 objectives for eligible hospitals, critical access hospitals and eligible professionals
- Public health reporting with flexible options
- Clinical Quality Measures reporting aligned with CMS quality reporting programs
- Finalize use of application program interfaces (APIs) that will provide increased data access
For more information, please see the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) press release